“It is a truth universally acknowledged that when one part of your life starts going okay, another falls spectacularly to pieces.”
Bridget Jones- I met her first in the movie Bridget Jones’s Diary and then later in the books written by Helen Fielding. I’m not usually a fan of books made into movies but I adore Bridget in any form. I don’t mind the differences between the books and movies.
I find Bridget to be so human. So relatable. She struggles with her weight, smoking and men. She messes up. She embarrasses herself. She has parents who are anyone’s parents and friends like everyone else.
And isn’t that quote the truth? The minute something seems to be going right, something else is not.
I have been thinking a lot about this quote because right now there is so much that doesn’t seem to be right. People are struggling. My own family and friends are struggling, either emotionally, financially or both. And so I have to search for the good because there has to be good.
After giving it some thought and as a reminder to myself, here is my list
- My family is safe.
- My family is healthy.
- We have food.
- We have a roof over our heads.
- We are learning to coexist at a time when anxiety can run rampant.
- I’m getting to spend unexpected time with my youngest son, Andy, as he finishes up his degree at home.
- I’m getting some much needed decluttering done.
- I’m finally getting the hang of e-learning with the little guys when they are here.
Bridget might get herself into some unusual fixes but she always seems to land on her feet in the end, even if she does have to scramble a bit to get there. I like that.