My anxiety and worries are getting the best of me and they have succeeded in taking firm hold of my sleep cycle. As each day passes, I find myself spending more of the night awake.
While the world slept last night, I watched 2 episodes of Friends, 3 episodes of The New Adventures of Old Christine, 3 episodes of Roseanne and the early morning news beginning at 4 a.m. I found out that the vast majority of my Facebook friends are not very active in the middle of the night with the exception of one person who admitted to being manic at the moment. I played endless games, running out of lives and having to wait for them to refill, moving onto the next game, downloading a number of games only to delete them when they didn’t hold my attention. I read and read and read. And finally, meandering around Pinterest. It was on Pinterest where I decided to look up quotes about insomnia, which brings me to this post.
I would like to share some of my favorite quotes. I don’t know who said them because none of them gave credit so anyone. I only know that I did not say them myself.
- “No one looks back at their life and remembers the nights they had plenty of sleep.”
- “Do you know that awesome feeling when you get into bed, fall right to sleep, stay asleep all night, and wake up feeling refreshed? Me neither.”
- “Due to tonight’s lack of sleep, tomorrow has been cancelled.”
- “That moment when tomorrow is here and you’ve been trying to go to sleep since yesterday.”
- “Nothing cures insomnia like the realization that it’s time to get up.”
- “According to the “you snooze, you lose” principle, insomnia makes us winners.”
- “Didn’t sleep much, but I got a few solid hours of worrying done.”
- “Legend says when you can’t sleep it’s because you are awake in someone else’s dreams. When I find out who you are, I’m going to punch you right in the face.”
I find it fitting that there are seven quotes. Normally I like to keep my bullet points to an even number but since this is a topic that has me feeling at odds, I like that it’s seven- a number that I don’t particularly like.
I anticipate that sheer exhaustion will catch up with me and I will get a full night’s rest….hopefully sooner rather than later. One thing is certain and that is- if I do get that much needed slumber, it will be on a night when I have to rise early the next day.
My love-hate relationship with sleep began when I was pregnant with my first child and could no longer sleep on my stomach. It has come and gone countless times over the years and although I have accepted that I don’t sleep as much as the average person, there are times when I really wish I could just lay down and fall asleep instantly. Especially when a toddler day follows that night.
It’s only slightly more frustrating when I know what’s causing it as opposed to those sleepless nights when I’m literally in the dark. I’ve tried it all. I’ve come to accept it and learned that if I don’t fight it too much and just ride it out, it does pass.
As I close, I would like to share the song that runs through my head on a loop when these bouts with insomnia hit-
How about you? Are you one of the lucky super sleepers, or a fellow sleep chaser like me, or somewhere in the middle?
Here’s hoping everyone has a pleasant night of sleep (me included)!