Day 2 of the 30 Day Blogging Challenge by Live, Love, Simple is 20 facts about me. I’m not really comfortable writing about myself so this might be a challenge. Of course, typing this might be a challenge in itself because I’m not sure if I ended that previous sentence with a period or a comma. They both look the same to me at this moment!
So here goes-
- I’ve been married for a long time. My husband didn’t ask to be part of a blog so I keep his life private.
- I am the mom of three incredibly awesome kids who went and grew up on me!
- I am the proud Nonna of two little guys- CJ and Beej. They are currently eight and three. They keep me pretty busy and I’m happy to have them in my life.
- I’m the proud mom of an LGBTQ kid, and I am an ally and supporter of the LGBTQ community.
- I am fortunate and blessed to have my parents still alive and living a few miles away.
- My dog, Ari, has been known to write a few posts here on my blog. (She really wanted to write this one because she knows that she is much more interesting than I am.)
- I was born, raised and have always lived within an hour of Chicago. Although the weather is not always that great and has grown to be more unpredictable as the years pass, this is where my people are and this is where I will be.
- I’m a compulsive reader. If there are words, I will read them- I can’t help it. I’m drawn to them.
- I’ve always been writing something- whether it was stories or notes about stories, this blog or random thoughts. Writing is my sanity tied closely with music.
- Music plays a big part in my life. It began as a child when my father exposed me and my siblings to all kinds of music and I carried on that tradition with my children and now the little guys. I listen to all kinds of music!!!
- I am a band mom, through and through. I spent many years shuttling kids to rehearsals, sitting at concerts and being a booster parent. My kids were all band kids and one went on to study music.
- I’m very quiet. Growing up in a family of four children, the others being much louder than me, I found it easier to remain silent than fight for attention that I really did not want.
- I’m also shy and prefer not to be the center of attention.
- I am loyal to a fault. When I have your back, I won’t be swayed.
- I have no time for unkind people.
- Platitudes really bug me.
- I feel much younger than I thought I would at this age!
- I cry when I watch the beginning of Up and Toy Story 3– every time!
- I will say that my favorite color is purple and yet I am more often drawn to blue, pink and orange (depending on the shade)…. so maybe it’s not purple at all!
- The Beatles are my favorite group- hands down. They are my go-to guys when I need a lift and they never fail to cheer my up.
Thanks for making it to the end of my list!
The other day I was running errands. car window rolled down, music blasting and enjoying the day when I realized that I was singing along to the Frozen soundtrack, specifically to the song that contains my blog’s name- Dandelion Fuzz- in the opening lyrics. It got me thinking about the name of my blog because this song was the inspiration. Four years ago, I wrote about my love for dandelions and some of the research I did while participating in a blogging class in The Birth of a Name or why I named my blog after a weed. But the seed that grew into this blog came from hearing that phrase in the song- “Bees will buzz, kids will blow dandelion fuzz…”
At the time that I chose this name, I liked it a lot. I felt that it was fitting. But did it have staying power or would I be changing it a few years in? Four years later, although my blog has gone through a few changes, it still feels like Dandelion Fuzz to me so it will be.
It was only as I was well into the song that followed the dandelion fuzz one that I realized that I didn’t have the little guys in the car and really didn’t need to be listening to this CD at all. Such is life!
I have decided to challenge myself for the month of June via Live Love Simple 30 Day Blogging Challenge. Thanks to Sally at Hot Dogs and Marmalade for bringing this challenge to my attention!
It’s Thursday and three things made me smile this week! (You might be saying, “Only 3, Kat? How sad!” but have no fear- there was LOTS to smile about this week. These three have the honor of being recognized because they came to mind in a split second AND I happened to have pictures of them.
I was reunited with my Shaun Cassidy albums! Who knew that one of my absolutely favorite teen heart throbs could still make my heart go pitter pat? But, just look at him! He’s SOOOOOOO cute!
I got new grey Converse All Stars! This is something I’ve always wanted but never had the nerve to purchase. It was an impulse buy- something I don’t normally do. I couldn’t wait to put them on and show them off!
And how cool is this! Someone left a “smile” rock on the meter on the side of my house. Finding this definitely did make me smile! (And it inspired me, too!)
#ThreeThingsThursday- was created by Emily at Nerd in the Brain and hosted by Natalie at There She Goes. Three Things Thursday is a list of three things that made you happy this week.
What made you smile this week?
There are no big revelations in this list. it’s been said before, heard before, lived before. But have you ever walked away from an experience and thought about what you’re taking away from it? A recent encounter reminded me of these things:
- Family matters- even if you don’t want it to. They know where you came from. They know who you were.
- Be careful who you trust. Sometimes you might be looking in the wrong direction and never see it coming.
- It’s never too late to try and fix things. Words spoken in the heat of the moment might hold some truth, or maybe they are all true, but that still doesn’t mean that things have to remain broken.
- As much as you might want to slam the door and lock it, it can always open. You have the power to unlock it!
- Unless you hear the words coming from a person’s mouth, you will never know for sure if they said them. People twist or make up things to suit their own purpose- even people you love.
- If you don’t want to believe what a person says, look at their actions for reinforcement.
- There is more than one side to every story. Every person has their own story and your hero might be my villain. You never know.
- We all have “stuff” and no one’s is more or less than anyone else’s. It’s just theirs.
- People can change and often do. We are all shaped by our experiences and each one changes us, maybe in small ways but always in some way.
- Forgiveness is not a dirty word.
- Letting go of negative feelings isn’t a statement of denial that something happened.
- Often the truth is staring you in the face- and you just can’t or don’t want to see it.
- And sometimes the truth hurts.
- Everyone isn’t in the same place in their journey and sometimes we need to be patient and wait for the other person to catch up. And sometimes we need to do what we need to do, and know that we will get where we need to be in our own time.
- If a person is determined to hold on to their hurt and anger and lets it fester and spread, they will remain stuck in that place.
- Being wrongly accused sucks.
- Not being allowed to defend yourself sucks more.
- It ain’t over til it’s over.
“Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced.”
Spring has arrived…maybe in name only. Enjoy!
It’s the day we’ve all been waiting for- Super Bowl Sunday! Okay, actually it isn’t. The day I’ve been waiting for. If you are like me, one of the six people in the world who doesn’t care whether the Patriots or Eagles win, or which are the most innovative, funny or cute commercials to air during the game, or interested in the anticipated spectacular half-time show, you might be looking for things to do.
Here are a few of my favorite ideas:
- Binge watch something new (or old) on Netflix.
- Bake something sweet.
- Chill out coloring a pretty page.
- Take a nap.
- Lose yourself in a good book.
- Get your creative juices flowing and start a craft project.
- Watch the snow fall.
And if by chance, one is stuck watching the big game, hold out hope that Heidi might begin soon. (Don’t know what I’m talking about? Google Heidi Bowl!)
Whether football is part of your day or not, hope it’s a good one!
Isn’t it funny how a certain post will show up in your feed right when you need it most? I was looking for something, not sure what to write about today but wanting to write, and then there it was- the perfect post- #ThreeThingsThursday- created by Emily at Nerd in the Brain and hosted by Natalie at There She Goes. Three Things Thursday is a list of three things that made you happy this week. This actually lines up perfectly with my mindfulness book, which asked me to share some memorable moments.
Before they headed back to school, I was able to spend the day at the museum with my college kids, who I don’t see nearly enough. Going to the museum is a favorite pastime from my childhood that I was able to pass on to my kids. It was a special day.
I played Bingo with my parents. This is actually a regular occurrence but hasn’t happened in a while due to circumstances beyond our control. It was nice to do something that feels just plain normal and everyday. I’m blessed to have my parents still here and nearby.
We are having a heatwave here in the Midwest, which means the snow, icy slush and general messiness along with the freezing temps are gone- temporarily. I’m going to enjoy the 60 degree day for the brief time it’s here.
What made you happy this week?
I hope your week is going well!