I remember when the first Star Wars movie was released in theaters. I was fourteen years old. I was not a fan of space or science fiction or fantasy or whatever else category this movie might have been labeled. It’s possible I didn’t even want to go to see it but I had no choice.
It didn’t matter. I was hooked. I fell in love with Han Solo/Harrison Ford- my first bad boy crush. And that crush lives on to this day.
Another first impressions was how whiny Luke Skywalker was and my dislike for him carried on to the end. I just couldn’t get past it! And how badass Princess Leia was all the way until the end!
Star Wars was unlike anything we had ever seen and EVERYONE was talking about it- even my parents! No one could have predicted what was to come in the future!
The most iconic Star Wars quotes (in my opinion) occurred in that first movie:
- “But I was going into Tosche Station to pick up some power converters!” — Luke Skywalker (the line that earned him the whiny label in our household)
- “Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi. You’re my only hope.” — Leia Organa
- “I find your lack of faith disturbing.” — Darth Vader
- “You don’t need to see his identification…These aren’t the droids you’re looking for.” — Obi-Wan Kenobi (My children grew up hearing “These aren’t the droids you’re looking for” in response to any time it could be used. I didn’t even replace ‘droids’ with the correct word.)
- “It’s the ship that made the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs.” — Han Solo (Teenage Kat sighs….)
This movie kicked off a lifelong love of Star Wars and at least two of my children and my grandchildren inherited that passion. We are Team Star Wars til the end!
This post is part of Blogging From A to Z- J.
May the Force Be With You!